Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My African sister

You may remember that a long time ago I blogged on how I'd decided to be a sponsor through Women4Women International. I saw the 60 minutes special on how the women in the Congo were being used as weapons of war in unspeakable ways and was so angry and at the same time so helpless that I did the only thing I could think of to help. Anyway, I had written my first sister (you get a name, photo, and basic details of her life when she's assigned to you for a year) but was disappointed when she never wrote back. I was assigned to a new sister a few months ago--much earlier than a year--which made me worry about what happened to the first woman. I don't think I'll ever know. However, today, I got a letter from my new sister!! She is also from the Congo and her letter told me about her 4 girls, her mud/grass hut (no water/electric) and her gratitude. But her excitement at being selected for the program was evident (there's a long list), and I teared up all the way home after reading the letter in the car right when I got it. She was praising God and sending me praise for sending her a few bucks a month. ... ... Speechless. I guess it's the chance I have to do some good in this sometimes fantastically unjust world. And that my dollars can change a person's life--literally. Geez, man. I think I'm a sponsor for life. To my women all over the world just trying to make it to tomorrow!