Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wass?

So you probably know that Aiden has been attending German kindergarten since last September. Everything's going great, it's been a good experience for him, and for me in learning how to let him go little by little. Okay, bigly...He rides a big ol' city bus from the kindergarten to Reichenbach--no stops between--and it took me a while not to sweat over the mere thought...Anyway...The only problem is, the kindergarten is super at communicating and sending home monthly booklets with pics and updates on the kids' most recent projects and at doing special things to include families (the bad part's coming...) but {Duh...} it's all in German :P I have found that Google's translator is LAME. I can figure it out better all myself. But there are still major holes I can't interpret. I am learning the words that tend to appear note after note, but I am still finding that Bianka is informing me of the kindergarten goings-on that she happens to hear about from the other parents...It's a small town. Otherwise, Aiden would've again been the only kid NOT dressed up for Fasching--the German craziness sort of like mardi gras that goes on for like a month. I didn't know they dressed up on Halloween! Our Halloween. These Germans like to party...Anyway, so I feel a little like the mom that's always going, "OH! Was that today? Oh, okay, well Aiden's dressed up like a Wilden Kerle!" He happened to have that t-shirt on for Halloween and so that's what he was...So I guess I'm getting a crash course in schulesprech-deutsch. I made that word up, by the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, the crazy Americans that don't understand any of the notes home... :) That must be excellent practice of your written German language skills - way harder than speaking I'm sure!