Friday, October 16, 2009

Who'd have thought?

I've come to believe that some of the most spoiled people in the world whine the loudest. I came home today with this on my mind and thought about how little we have to really whine about. In the spirit of not becoming one of those people, I've decided to document some of the cool things that have come about in my life as unexpected surprises, and which yes, I often take for granted.

1. I remember sitting in French class one day in high school and thinking to myself, "Too bad I'll never get to use this in France--that would be cool." Funny, but it wasn't even an option in my mind at that time that I could travel overseas. And here I am. Living 45 minutes from France and popping over there for dinner once in a while.
2. So I would've never imagined that I would have visited 12 countries (and counting) by 32.
3. And I certainly wouldn't have dreamed that I would OWN a house in a foreign country.
4. I would not have guessed that I would've found in myself something of a leader. It actually still surprises me now.
5. I would be ecstatic to learn that I have MUCH more self-confidence and self-esteem than when I was a teen (ugh.)
6. I would not know how to feel about me driving a minivan. My 32 year-old self can reassure the teen in me that, no, it's not really cool, but it is a rockin' van.
7. I would be fascinated to learn that I have two (and that's it) kids and that they have a nanny who has come to mean so much to me that I hyperventilate at the thought of separating from her and her family.
8. I have learned that friends can be your family.
9. I would perhaps be nervous in seeing that what you've always known is not the absolute truth oftentimes, and that I now consider myself a person who questions more.
10. I have learned that there's nothing in this world that brings me more happiness than my husband and two amazingly unique and awesome kids.

1 comment:

judygraham said...

Super post. You nailed it. : ))