Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Innocence lost...and found!

Just got back from a frigid hour at the spielplatz. Aiden, Ava, and I walked down there since it's a sunny day and what luck! We ran into Aiden's favorite girl, Angelina. I personally think he loves her and that he will remember her as his first girlfriend like I reflect back on the boy who I loved in kindergarten. I don't remember his name, but I do remember vividly grabbing his hand on the way to school and him whining, "Aw, do I have to?" Of course the answer was yes. And he listened! I wonder whatever happened to that boy...Anyway!

So, Aiden and Angelina are running around and playing together while Ava digs in the sand. At one point, Aiden asked me to help them get the zipline within their reach and so I did and I stood there watching them get situated. Aiden gentlemanly gave the thing to Angelina to ride first, but then I heard him ask, "Moerchtet du doppleganger machen?" Or loosely translated, "Do you want to go doubles?" She nodded her assent and Aiden jumped on the seat, straddling her. Now did I mention that there were a bunch of teens hanging out at the park, too? (it's a farm-town and not many places to chill...) So of course, I expect to hear snickering at the fact that these two are riding together like this. But no, to my surprise I seemed to be the only one thinking this is a little naughty :) And further demonstrating my lack of innocence, two of the teen boys then jump on together! It was all totally--innocent--but I know if I'd been at my American school playground and two kids straddled each other on the swings or zipline or whatever, there'd be razzing for sure!

So I guess you could say I've definitely lost my innocence, but that for a moment I found it again. I was truly touched to see that, yes, even in this world where stories about kids killing other kids are on the news every day now, there are still those that haven't yet lost their innocence. There is still sweetness. There is still just play for the fun of playing. There is still purity in this world. The challenge is holding on to it for as long as possible...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have thought the SAME thing! And for SURE, if it had happened with any of my students around, there surely would have been snickering! But yay innocence! And yay Aiden's first love! :)

judygraham said...

Great post. I'm glad to read kids can still feel free to be themselves, have some fun, without worrying about what impression some snickering fools might have of their actions.