Friday, October 31, 2008

A witch and a ninja

Trick or treat! We headed over to Baumholder last night with Aiden's friend, Devin, for some Halloween fun! We did the trick or treating thing and got a boat-load of candy. The kids tired out after an hour, so then we went over to the bowling alley for pizza (they've got the best American-style around here). Devin was fascinated by the game of bowling and sat down with some nice strangers to watch their game and cheer them on :) All night that boy kept talking to me in German (imagine!) and for some reason I have a hard time understanding his speech (he's 5), so I kept just saying, "ya..." and that caused a little confusion when he thought I was giving him permission for some stuff. He'd run off to play games and I'd realize he thinks he can play for free and I'd have to call him back to tell him we have no money (the lame ol' parent trick--but hey, those games are expensive!) He surely thinks I'm a nut. Anyway, we got home sort of late and even I was exhausted after a long week. A couple German kids were suess and saur-ing ("sweet and sour" is their version of "trick or treat") and I was a bad American representative of our holiday and didn't buy candy, but had tons on hand anyway. No, I didn't give Aiden and Ava's away :) Not that it wasn't tempting. But now they've got permission to devour candy all day. I'm going to try to get them to get rid of it this weekend so it's gone and we're not dragging out the "I WANT CANDY"s for months.

No comments: