Sunday, March 15, 2009

Invaders

I barely remember the times when I could reliably slip into a warm bubble bath with a Glamour and have a Calgon moment for an hour or so. I know it once existed for me, but it's hazy. Because my current reality--as it has been for the past 5 years--goes like so:
[me in a conspiratorial whisper]: Radley, I'm going to take a bath.
[I hold my breath as I tiptoe up the stairs...]
[I turn on the water.] MAMA?!?!?!?!? BAF?!?!?!?
[Me]: ARRRGH!
[little steps on the stairs]: clomp, clomp, clomp...MAMA?!?!?!?
[little steps entering the bathroom]: MAMA!!!!!! BAF!!!!!!!
[little one proceeds to try to strip--requires my assistance--I grudgingly oblige since I know my other option is listening to a fit, which will effectively ruin my bath anyway.]

As I lift my little one into the bath with me and she proceeds to dive into my sacred "bath things", I grit my teeth and think, "Well, nice try, Andrea." Until the little one smiles at me and laughs, "Mommy. Hair." Oh, it's time to wash her hair. "You wanna use Mommy's shampoo?"
"Yeah!" And then, I relax realizing my subterfuge was futile and useless from the start. It's a bonding moment--not such an invasion after all. It's just what it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cute!!! What special times with your daughter.