Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mmm...Smells like...

Okay, so why do we despise telemarketers and rebuff door-to-door salespeople and yet fight to get invited to these Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Discovery Toy parties, etc? Well, I don't, but I know a lot of people that do. Anyway, it's like we're lining up with our wallets open, begging them to sell to us. I went to a PartyLite party tonight because my friend was hosting and I had fun at the first one that my other friend was hosting. Last time--at my first party--I won some tealight holders during a game, so that was motivation: Free Stuff! And tonight, I actually won two 6-packs of votive candles, so that was super lucky! And I did have fun. But I'm sitting there, looking through the catalog, feeling like I have to buy something (and I expected this ahead of time, so that was okay), and thinking, "Holy crizap! This stuff is crazy ridiculous expensive." Yet, I put myself down for 4 items knowing I was getting ripped off. I chose to get ripped off. Why? We are such suckers for these parties that it becomes worth it to us through some warped perception of value. I don't know...I just never figured myself for the type of person to buy into it so willingly. My reasoning is, I have a good time, help out a friend, and get some fun stuff for lots o' money :) Whatever. It's ridiculous.

No comments: